Wednesday, February 09, 2005
The Coyote Chew
I have heard that in the wild, animals who have their limbs caught in a trap often chew off their limbs to escape their predicament rather than end um as dinner.
I have also "heard" that in college, after a night of indiscretion, people who wake up with their arm around someone else often contemplate chewing off their limb to escape their predicament rather and to escape undetected rather than facing the reality of their hookup.
I know that the principle of "The Coyote Chew" also applies to childcare.
Most of the time, Kayla is an angel. Following her bath, bottle and book, she usually drifts off to the music and bubbling of her Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium.
However, there are some times when Kayla is so over tired that the system breaks down entirely and she is reduced to a screaming, inconsolable wreck. Finally, after rocking my daughter to sleep and resting her peacefully in her crib, I often feel like an animal caught in a trap or like I am transported back a weekend morning in college.
I have also "heard" that in college, after a night of indiscretion, people who wake up with their arm around someone else often contemplate chewing off their limb to escape their predicament rather and to escape undetected rather than facing the reality of their hookup.
I know that the principle of "The Coyote Chew" also applies to childcare.
Most of the time, Kayla is an angel. Following her bath, bottle and book, she usually drifts off to the music and bubbling of her Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium.
However, there are some times when Kayla is so over tired that the system breaks down entirely and she is reduced to a screaming, inconsolable wreck. Finally, after rocking my daughter to sleep and resting her peacefully in her crib, I often feel like an animal caught in a trap or like I am transported back a weekend morning in college.